Monday, January 3, 2011

Wishing everyone a new year of cooking well and eating well..

Hope everyone had a great beginning to the new year. I will begin mine by catching up on my posts. I have about two days (31st Dec I cooked, 1 I did not cook - lunch at moms and dinner at in-laws, yesterday I cooked and today I did not - it is my b'day after all!!) worth of cooking to catch up on my blog.

So without further ado, he we gooo....
31st Dec had Chapati Kofta Curry and Jaipuri Bhindi (ladyfinger)

Chapati Kofta Curry, Jaipuri bhindi and greens stir fry
-----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Chapati Kofta Curry
I concocted this recipe to use up my leftover chapatis. (I also use the leftover chapatis in a indo-chinese stirfry - recipe I will post sometime later)
3 leftover chapatis ground to a powder
2 potatoes boiled
3 onions chopped
2 tomatoes chopped
1 tbsps ginger garlic paste
1 bay leaf
1 cinnamon stick 
2 cardamom pods
1 tsp cumin seeds
1tsp turmeric pd, cumin pd and coriander pd
Salt, chilli pd to taste
First knead the ground chapati, potatoes and turmeric, coriander, chilli and cumin pd with salt to form a dough-like consistency. Shape them into balls and shallow fry them till brown and crisp. These can be eaten as is with ketchup and will taste great. 
Heat oil in a pan and add the cumin seeds and after they have spluttered add the whole spices and saute till they release their aromas. Add the onions and ginger garlic paste and saute till they turn brown. Then add the tomatoes and saute them till they also turn mushy. Cool and grind this to a paste. Return this paste to the fire and add turmeric and chilli pd and simmer till they are cooked. Now add the chapati kofta balls from before and simmer for 5 mins more.
Jaipuri Bhindi (got the recipe from New Woman magazine - Dec issue)
500 gm bhindi slit lengthwise into thin strips
2 tbsps suji (semolina)
2 tbsps chilli pd
salt to taste
2 tsps coriander pd
2 tsps besan (chickpea flour)
2 tsps chaat masala
Sprinkle all the spice powders, salt and besan except chaat powder on the julienne bhindi and rub it all over till they are well coated. Saute them in a little oil till they turn crisp. You will need to do this on very low flame to prevent the spices from getting burnt. Make sure you do not turn the bhindi over or mix them too much for the first 10 mins as they will turn crispier faster. The actual recipe calls for a deep fry of the bhindi pieces. Since I do not deep fry anything I have opted to saute them instead. After the bhindi is crisp take them off the heat and sprinkle chaat masala and mix and serve.
----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
2nd Jan had Cabbage with Groundnut sabji and Tomato daal
Green stir fry, cabbage with groundnut powder and tomato daal

 I think I have given the recipe for the above in one of my earlier posts so I am going to skip the recipe for this one.

See you all tomorrow then! Cheerio!

No comments:

Post a Comment