Thursday, March 24, 2011

Kal ka khana aaj ki kabhar....

I could not post yesterday as I fell asleep. Well I did wake up at around 12 am and then did not sleep until 3 am but could not bring myself to get up and boot my laptop. I guess it is the summer heat - just saps you of all energy.
Had been to the metro cash and carry place yesterday (it is a wholesale warehouse store for those of you who did not know about it - akin to Sam's club or Costco) I go there almost every month to stock up on groceries, produce and other essentials. That is always a whole day assignment; well, almost. So cooking was a hurried affair. Made mushroom peas masala and lauki daal.
Mushroom peas masala and lauki daal
------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Mushroom Peas Masala
2 cups mushroom chopped
1 cup peas 
2 onions finely chopped
1 tsp ginger garlic paste
1 tsp cumin seeds
Garam masala, chilli pd, amchur pd, turmeric pd, kitchen king masala, cumin pd and salt to taste.

Heat oil and add cumin seeds to splutter. Add the chopped onions and ginger garlic paste and a little salt. Fry till the onions change color. Now add the mushroom and peas and cover and cook till they are soft. Now add the masalas and saute till the spices lose their raw smell. Season with salt. 

Lauki Daal
1 cup chana daal soaked in water for about 30 mins
Lauki chopped into bi chunks - 1 cup
Few sprigs of curry leaves
3 green chillies
1 tomato roughly chopped
1 onion diced
1/2 tsp Asafoetida pd
Turmeric pd and salt to taste
1 tsp cumin and mustard seeds

Heat oil in a pan (I used the pressure cooker) and add the mustard seeds. After they have spluttered add the cumin seeds. Add the asafoetida pd and curry leaves and saute for a sec. Now add the onions and fry them till they turn pink. Now add the chopped tomatoes, lauki and green chillies. Saute till the tomatoes are soft. Add the turmeric pd and water and cover and cook for 3-4 whistles or till the daal is completely cooked and soft. Season with salt. Can be served with chapatis or rice.
-----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

That's it for tonight or rather yesterday night. For those who are wondering what I had for dinner tonight - Pizza!!!
Not that I like pizza in India but Dominos is far better that Pizza hut. I got the "cheesy" mushroom stroganoff and I think the cheesy was just an adjective that they added to make the name sound authentic!! I could not even smell the cheese in it - forget tasting it!!
And their Mexican pizza tasted like my 2 yr old son had attempted to make a pizza!!!

Anyhooo, good night everyone......

No comments:

Post a Comment